Wednesday, December 06, 2006

MY SCARY EVENT OF THE WEEK:
Caspian had a steadily increasing fever all last week, topping off at 103.8 degrees. It was back down to 99-something Thursday night and he was sweating, so we thought it was over...until I woke at 2:30 a.m. Friday to him having a seizure. I'm so glad we were co-sleeping, because I wouldn't have heard him choking if he was in the other room. He started out gasping and clawing at his throat (because it was seizing closed), then started shaking all over and rolling his eyes back. Between shaking episodes he'd just look at me all confused and scared, without even crying. We took an ambulance to the ER and were there until 11 a.m. It was a febrile seizure, which happens when kids' temps jump a lot in a short period of time. Apparently it's pretty common. They had to draw blood from his arm and get a urine sample using a catheter, so the poor guy was pretty traumatized by the end of the morning. The whole fever thing turned out to be a UTI, which is also common with runny-poop infants (since it can easily slide up the urethra when they squirt it out). He started one antibiotic Friday, but they called us to switch it on Sunday because it wasn't effective against the bacteria in his urine sample. That one was so rough on his stomach he was up all Sunday night and all day Monday, screaming and doubling up. He switched to a third antibiotic Monday night, and that only seems to affect him only a little, praise God.


All About Caspian:

* Our 4-month with the new ped was uneventful. He didn't know what a Boppy was. Caspian is 27.5" long, 16" around the head, weighs 16lbs 9oz, and was pronounced "very strong" and "just perfect." He's so tall (past 95%ile) that he isn't fat...except for his Michelin thighs, which Charlie and I call "chubbers." He definitely has teeth coming in, too.

* When I look at Caspian, put food in my mouth, make exaggerated chewing motions, and say, "Mmmm -- yummy!" he licks and smacks his lips in the cutest way! He's eyeing our food, too.

* When he needs a diaper change, he spits and blows raspberries with his lips only. He doesn't do it every time his diaper's dirty, but every time he does it it's accurate. He's also been holding his thighs back (like when I was in labor ) so I can wipe him, but recently he's started grabbing and pinching his penis! It doesn't seem to hurt him...

* Whenever Caspian sits in his bouncy seat now, he grabs the dangling giraffe, lifts up his legs to counterbalance, and sits up to get the giraffe in his mouth! He just gnaws on those little plastic legs like there's no tomorrow.


All About Me:

* My little brother (AF pilot) got deployed to the Middle East last Tuesday. He wasn't supposed to go until February, but he got bumped up just 2 weeks beforehand because the last guy got a last-minute reassignment. Please pray for his new wife, who relocated from Colorado to D.C. in September and doesn't have a local support structure. They'll miss his birthday and Christmas together.

* My Mary Kay conference in PA was awesome and inspiring. I have a huge new goal for Seminar in July and will be pushing to get part of it done by December 15 (next Friday) since I barely got any work in while Caspian was sick. ...so if anybody needs stocking stuffers or Christmas gift ideas (or wants her own wish list shared with her husband), I do free gift wrapping and shipping!

* Thanksgiving was really good. Caspian broke into a huge grin every single time he saw my grandma, which really made her week. The weather was fantastic, and we got to see my childhood best friend and her 7 month old . She and Caspian kept trying to grab each other and missing, but they loved it.

* We were in Dayton for two days this weekend, for more MK training. This time, it was a 7-hour makeup workshop with a professional makeup artist! It was SOOOO great. I can't wait to use those techniques in makeovers!

* We're officially finished traveling for the year. Being out of state three out of the last four weekends has been really taxing on Charlie and Caspian. We're glad to be putting down roots again. Who knows if we'll even get anything decorated for Christmas...we're so worn out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My heart started beating fast just reading that, I'm so glad he's ok! I can't imagine how scared you all must have been.

Tyler and I ran into another couple from our birth class a few weeks ago, they've started going to our church. They didn't have a baby with them, and as it turns out it didn't live after birth. I was so heartbroken when I heard.

I don't know how much time you spend online, but I wanted to invite you to this message board. It's called Contrary to Popular Parenting and it was made after Mothering started to kind of go downhill with the google ads and everything. http://cpp.zero-probability.com/index.php
It's a great site!

--Amy