Wednesday, May 16, 2007

If you let your small child play with your phone...PLEASE STOP!!!

I had the most traumatic experience with Caspian yesterday afternoon.

We let him play with our old cellphones all the time. There are no small parts or sharp edges, so why not? They don't even have the antennae that raise and lower. We even took the batteries out so they would be safer.

I was sitting on the bed playing with Caspian yesterday when he just started cough-gagging. I had no idea what could be causing it, since we monitor what he plays with pretty closely. I leaned him over my arm a little and patted his back. His gagging changed pitch and he let out a spew of thick, milkshake-consistency vomit. It was so thick, it looked like a tube. At this point, I was praying for the culprit to come up as well. Caspian gagged again, and a little black thing came out too.

At first I thought it was a zipper pull, since he loves chewing on them ("Not anymore!" I thought). Then I picked it up and discovered what it was -- a thin plastic piece off a cellphone.

He doesn't even play with the phone once a day, so I never imagined that his chewing and sucking could peel the end off...but it did. You can see from the phone on the right that the black end piece looks like an embedded plastic chunk, impossible for a child to remove. In reality, it's just a super-thin piece of plastic laminate glued to the end. And my baby's saliva dissolved the adhesive.

We have thrown the phones away and won't let him play with non-"baby toys" anymore, unless they're undeniably all one piece, like a plastic bowl. Please don't let this happen to your precious baby. I shudder to think what could've happened if Caspian had been younger when swallowed that.

No comments: